Mike “Doc” Emrick
Michael “Doc” Emrick is an award winning American play-by-play sportscaster and commentator most famous for his work in ice hockey. If you don’t know what he looks like, you certain know what he sounds like. His distinctive voice and keen ability to make sense out of on-ice chaos is unmatched. So what makes him a four time Emmy Award winning broadcast? He’s a Leo of course!
Doc’s Sun and Mercury are both in Leo creating a natural ability to both impress and instill confidence instantly. He not only speaks with confidence, he presents with pizzazz. Sure, lots of people do this, but what differentiates Doc is his Mars is in Virgo. He has an almost obsessive-compulsive need to process and triage large amounts of information into bit sized play-by-play nuggets.
Its Emrick’s Leo and Virgo combined that give him the ability to break down complex sports into accessible and entertaining soundbites — making him wildly successful.
Doc is a bit sentimental and doesn’t love change – at work or in the sport. He will often complain or disapprove of changes in regulations or change to his work routine, but is a team player and will comply…just not always with a smile.
Summary of Mike “Doc” Emrick’s chart and the four key areas of broadcasting.
GENERAL PERSONA (SUN in Leo)
- Fun and outgoing
- Confident and prideful
- Accessible (not pretentious)
- Sincere and passionate
WHEN HE OPENS HIS MOUTH (MERCURY in Leo)
- Distinct and memorable voice
- Articulate public speaker (i.e. Doesn’t rely on “um” or lengthy pauses)
- Passionate and animated
- Creative use of language to keep listeners attention
HIS “ON AIR” PERSONA (MARS in Virgo)
- Extremely knowledgeable
- Able to process inordinate amounts of data in real-time
- Articulate and Passionate
- Fair and objective
WORK ETHIC (SATURN in Cancer)
- Is a team player
- Enjoys time off
- Complains about little things
- Is extremely loyal to employer
- Like Him: Aries, Gemini, Leo
- Dislike Him: Libra, Capricorns, Cancer